Healthy Summer Skin
Did you know that the skin is the largest organ of the body? It happens to reside on the outside of the body, protecting other organs within. The skin allows oxygen and other nutrients to be absorbed while preventing harmful substances from entering. It also excretes waste products that are harmful to the body.
The skin also acts like a crystal ball. It mirrors the health of the inside of our bodies. When something is out of whack there, the skin will show the world and you.
So, how can you keep your skin looking great - especially during the summer months when you want to show it off? Here are a few beauty secrets anyone can utilize.
* Drink water – Water is important for the body. The majority of our cells are composed of water. Without it, the body cannot function. Each day, we lose water through sweat, respiration and urination. It must be replenished. Remember, when you feel thirsty, you are already in the process of becoming dehydrated.
* Remove dead skin cells – This is often done through exfoliation. Using a sugar scrub once a week can remove excess dead skin cells from the body and the face. Exfoliation also prevents pores from being clogged, resulting in pimples.
* Make good food choices – Eating a lot of fat can lead to an acne problem with the skin. It can also add fat to your body. In the summer, everyone wants to go light. Choose salads and sandwiches instead of fried foods. Eat smaller meals more often instead of three heavier ones.
* Wear a hat – When you are out in the sun, wearing a hat protects the sensitive skin of your face from not only the sun but also from wind damage.
* Wear sunscreen – Even if you are gardening, sunscreen is important. Without a layer of protection between you and the sun, the harmful UV rays are allowed to penetrate the deeper layers of the skin and damage them. Use the strongest SPF you can find – at least 50 – even when out in the sun for only 30 minutes. Reapply every two hours.
* Moisturize – The heat can dry out your skin. After a long day outside, bathe and then moisturize your skin so that it can stay supple even while you sleep. Use a light one so that you are not in danger of clogging your pores.