Are There Natural Remedies For Urinary Tract Infections?
Have you or your kids ever had a urinary tract infection? If so, then you know how painful and uncomfortable it can be. When it comes to treating these types of infections, try a few natural remedies before reaching for prescription medications.
When you contract a urinary tract infection, see your doctor. They will recommend treatment options for the infection. Don’t be afraid to approach them with the question of using natural remedies. If they say that it is okay, here are some of the treatments to try.
1. Cranberry juice – Cranberry juice has been a long-standing treatment for urinary tract infections. A component of cranberries called proanthocyanins is believed to keep bacteria from infecting and inflaming the walls of the urinary system. Since they can’t get a foothold, they are taken away by the urine as it passes through. You can drink 100 percent cranberry juice (up to 3 cups a day) or use cranberry tablets.
2. Uva Ursi – This is an herb that has been known to kill bacteria. The main compound in this herb is arbutin. For it to work, the urine has to be alkaline. Taking sodium bicarbonate before using this herb can increase the alkalinity.
3. Diuretic herbs – Diuretic herbs like dandelion leaves, parsley and hydrangea increase urine production. The more urine that is present, the more likely the bacteria will be washed out of the body. Other diuretic herbs are horsetail and marshmallow.
4. Try vitamin C – Vitamin C increases the strength of the immune system. A stronger immune system can fight off invading bacteria. Most vitamin C is obtained through the foods we eat, particularly citrus fruits. It is better to get the vitamin C from food but supplementation may be in order. Bacteria that cause urinary tract infections don’t flourish in acidic environments. So, eat as much citrus as you can.
5. Water – Your body is made up mostly of water. Water is needed to give the body an “internal shower.” Cells need water and so does your urinary system to flush out all of the impurities from your body. Drinking a lot of water can help urinary tract infections from reoccurring.
There are other herbal remedies for urinary tract infections that you can also try. Changing the environment where the bacteria thrive will kill them and stop the infection.
Before taking any herbal remedies or treating yourself, it is important to discuss your plans with a doctor. Some herbs such as uva ursi are not recommended for pregnant or nursing women. Herbs are treated like medicines. They can have serious interactions with traditional medications. Even with natural remedies, only a urinalysis will confirm that you are free of the bacteria that caused the condition.